Monday 2 March 2009

Fed up, poor and hungry


After a busy week working on my dissertation and all the other stuff third year throws at you I desperately needed to get out of the house. With limited money as a student (but still enough to go shopping everyday of the week and buy something I ‘need’), I wanted to go for dinner somewhere relatively inexpensive.

Many people had recommended Cowherds to me but I have never actually been there myself so I thought I would give it a try. So off I went with some friends in my usual attire (UGG boots and shorts if you haven’t noticed) to see what all the fuss was about.

We found ourselves a nice little table next to the log fire where we proceeded to look over the menu, our stomachs sounding more and more like tigers as we viewed the mouth-watering dishes.

As a vegetarian that eats fish I chose the fish and chips for main and as a poor student I chose not to have a starter, although I have heard the breaded mushrooms and baked camembert are worth a try! Off I went to the bar to place my order along with a ‘lemonade and lime with no ice’. I was pleasantly surprised with the price…for just under £10 I was sorted.

After a short wait our food arrived much to our stomachs delight. The waitress offered us a variety of sauces to which the ketchup was imminently emptied…oops. With lemon squeezed over my fish and LOADS of black pepper I tucked in. Within minutes my food was gone (thanks to my friends and their ten minute rule!!).

The meal was delicious and for under £10 I was very satisfied and will definitely be returning again. I would recommend Cowherds to anyone, particularly if you want an inexpensive but nice meal out. Check out the menu for yourself at http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/thecowherdssouthampton/food/.

4 comments:

  1. I’m also a student at Southampton Uni and was recommended to visit Cowherds by friends. I went at lunchtime and didn’t fancy anything from the lunch menu, so opted for Chicken Ceasar Skewers which is in the ‘Starter’ section of the main menu. Although they were very nice, I was slightly disappointed at how small the portion was! It was a starter I suppose so maybe I shouldn’t be so greedy, I just wouldn’t recommend a starter as a lunchtime meal! I’ve since been back with some friends and had a lovely dinner at a very reasonable price. Definately worth a visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cowherds is great for a lunchtime meal, especially in the summer with southampton common right on its doorstep. It offers pretty good food seeing as its a vintage inn (has a reputation for serving frozen meals) and the selection of ales and low beamed ceiling give it a very traditional feel. If your looking for an evening meal in southampton though i recommend taking a short trip down to oxfords, AMAZING food plus they are giving in to the credit crunch by offering three course meals with a glass of vino for 17 quid. perfect for that ’special’ night out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cowherds is abit of a trek from the library though and seeing as im spending every hour of the day in there dont think i can afford the time to make it over to the avenue. tried out the style though earlier. foods not great but does the job and with their 2 for £8 offer its not to expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the foods nothing compared to the cowherds! beef and guinness pie every day of the week!

    ReplyDelete